Deputations/Delegations to Council and Committee are permitted under Section E.9(c) and (d) of the Muskoka District Council Procedure By-law 2014-20.
|Request to Appear as a Deputation / Delegation|
If you wish to appear as a deputation/delegation at a Council or Committee meeting, please advise the Clerk at least two business days in advance of the meeting.
Debbie Crowder, District Clerk
(705) 645-2100 Ext. 239
|E.9 (c) Ceremonial and Invited Presentations|
- (i) Persons wishing to make submissions to Council or a Committee shall make a request to the Clerk to do so whether those submissions shall be by way of written submission and/or oral presentation. Written submissions shall comply with section E.9(g) regardless of whether or not accompanied by an oral presentation.
- (ii) Persons wishing to make a ceremonial presentation at a Council or a Committee meeting shall make a request to the Clerk not less than two (2) Business Days in advance of the meeting.
- (iii) On receipt of a request described in section E.9(c)(ii) the Clerk may grant leave, whose decision is final.
- (iv) On the granting of leave, the Clerk shall note the presentation on the Agenda or Supplementary Agenda.
- (v) Presentations by persons appearing at the invitation of the Chair or a Committee Chair do not require leave. The Clerk shall note the presentation on the Agenda or Supplementary Agenda.
|E.9 (d) Oral Presentations (Deputations/Delegations) (With or Without Written Submissions)|
- (i) Persons wishing to make an oral presentation to Committee or Council, with or without written submissions, shall do so in accordance with this section.
- (ii) Subject to section E.9(d)(iii), persons desiring to make an oral presentation or make a request of Council shall give notice to the Clerk not less than two (2) Business Days before the commencement of the meeting of the Council and may be heard on leave of the Council. Oral presentations shall be limited to not more than ten minutes
- (iii) Notwithstanding section E.9(d)(ii), where a matter that a person wishes to make an oral presentation with respect to is included in a Committee or other report on the agenda for a Council meeting, the Clerk may, but is not obliged to, grant leave.
- (iv) In order to not give one person or group an unfair advantage over another person or group, requests by persons or groups to appear as a deputation or delegation after a statutory public meeting has been held to speak to the matter that was the subject of the public meeting shall not be permitted. Written submissions shall be received in accordance with directions given by the Committee at the public meeting.
- (v) Other than Members and employees of the municipality required to attend the meeting, no person shall be permitted outside of the designated public area during the sittings of the Council.
- (vi) No member of the public shall, before or during a meeting of the Council, place on the desks of Members or otherwise distribute any material whatsoever unless such person is so acting with the approval of the Clerk.
- (vii) In determining whether or not to grant leave under this section, Council may have regard to:
- (a) whether the matter to which the applicant wishes to speak is on the agenda for the Council or Committee meeting;
- (b) the number of times the person has made a presentation to Council or Committee on the same subject within the calendar year;
- (c) whether or not there have been any recent developments or initiatives associated with the matter the applicant wishes to speak to; and
- (d) any other factors Members of Council may wish to consider.
- (viii) A motion with respect to an application for leave in accordance with section E.9(d)(ii) shall not be debated or amended.
- (ix) Notwithstanding the above, no more than three (3) Oral Presentations shall be permitted during the same regularly scheduled meeting.
- (x) The Chair, may at his or her discretion, approve the addition of delegation requests, after the notice requirement in section E.9(d)(ii) has expired.
Please click here to view By-law No. 2014-20 in its entirety.