You are here: About Us > Financial Information > Budgets > Budget Process
Your Opportunity to Participate in Budget Deliberations
For specific budget information, click here.
Public Notices & Information
- A notice of intention to adopt each of the Budgets is advertised in the local newspaper and posted on the Muskoka website under Public Notices.
- Copies of the budgets are made available at the local libraries, and posted on Muskoka’s website prior to budget deliberations.
- Members of the public are invited to express their concerns at either the Committee meetings or at the Council meetings through a written request to the District Clerk, by fax, email or other written method approximately one week prior to the scheduled joint Committee meeting.
For the District Clerk contact information, please click here.
The District Municipality of Muskoka produces two separate budgets annually, the Rate Supported Budget and the Tax Supported Budget.
RATE SUPPORTED BUDGET
The Rate Supported Operating Budget and Capital Budget and Forecast includes Water and Sewer Services and Solid Waste Management Services. Through these budgets water, sewer and solid waste user fees are set for the upcoming year and special service area levies are established.
Standard Budget Process & Timetable
- Approval of Budget Guidelines and Timetable in July – August
- Initial budget deliberations at a joint meeting of Engineering and Public Works Committee and Corporate and Emergency Services Committee, in the November – December timeframe, and
- Further budget deliberations and approval by the Council of the District Municipality of Muskoka (generally 2-3 weeks following the joint Committee meeting)
TAX SUPPORTED BUDGET
The Tax Supported Operating Budget and Capital Budget and Forecast includes a review of the following services:
|Corporate and Emergency Services|
- Elected Officials
- General Administration
- Other Support Services
- Provincial Offences
- Community Emergency Planning
- Health Unit
- Land Ambulance Services
- Police Services
|- Roadway Maintenance & Construction||- Sewage Lagoons ||- Port Carling Locks|
|- Ontario Works|
- Children's Services
|- Pines Operations|
- Community Housing
|Planning and Economic Development|
|- Planning & Policy|
- Forest Health
- Water Strategy
|- Economic Development|
- Muskoka Tourism Marketing Agency
- 911 Addressing
|- Corporate revenues & expenditures which do not specifically pertain to any individual department|
Through this budget review, user fees are set for the upcoming year and The District Municipality of Muskoka’s general tax rate is established.
Standard Budget Process and Timetable
- Approval of Budget Guidelines and Timetable in September – October
- Initial departmental budget deliberations at the respective department’s standing Committee in February - March
- Budget deliberations of the Corporate budget at the Committee of the Whole Council, in March – April
- Further budget deliberations and approval by the Council of the District Municipality of Muskoka in March - April
back to top